Wednesday, June 20, 2007

***Indian Givers***

So my question is about the colloquial term "Indian Giver".

Was that in reference to Native Americans or people from India?

Cuz if it's about Native Americans, what the hell did they give and take back? And if it's about people from India, then you're really going to have to enlighten me.

I got a call from the New York office today that was good news because my office was on the receiving end of something valuable in our world. Then the bastard called me back 40 minutes later to tell me that the plans changed. I was pissed and I expressed it. Something to the effect of "You can't do that! I mean, you CAN but come on! We need it more than you do!" He didn't give a shit and I was clear that nothing could be done. So I kept talking.

"You can't reni..."


The spades player within me (i.e. Shaqweeta) had it on the tongue but I was pretty certain he wasn't Black and I just didn't feel comfortable using the term "renig" (or however it's spelled) with him. Then I started to call him an Indian Giver but I didn't know if that was racially charged either, so I just ended with "Awww...c'mon man!"

What say you?


***UPDATE***

Man, I tell ya...
It's GREAT to have knowledgeable folks on your Hometeam:o)

Look at what I learned!

"Believe it or not Renege is a legitimate word. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Renege

As for Indian Giver:
American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms - Cite This Source

Indian giver
One who takes or demands back one's gift to another, as in Jimmy wanted to take back Dan's birthday present, but Mom said that would make him an Indian giver. This term, now considered offensive, originally alluded to the Native American practice of expecting a gift in return for one that is given. [Colloquial; early 1800s]"
Who knew???
I've been using the term incorrectly my ENTIRE life, lol!

(Thanks J.T.!)

Comments:
LOLOL!!

First off, SO sorry that loser pulled that IG card. That SUCKS! At least you fought for it...and damn near brought Shaqweeta out in the workplace!

It's hilarious, b/c I've never pondered this, and now that you bring it up, it's even MORE difficult to make sense of it.

Forgive any "racially charged-ness" in what I'm about to say, but Native Americans DAMN SHOL' haven't "given" US anything and "taken it back". This country is the slow one to give back to them, so even THE U.S. isn't technically an IG...just an IT (Indian-Taker).

As for the India-Indians...we KNOW their entrepreneurial a$$es ain't GIVIN' NOTHIN away. LOL! They'll sell it to you for "two-doylas ahnd thirr(roll the r's)tee-thrrree cents. And won't let you leave till they've counted it and you've paid in full. I don't care if it's a hair store, a convenience store, a bellydancing class, or a Super 8 Motel...they ain't GIVIN' you isht!

So...the mystery continues! LOL
 
You stupid, lol!

So how about "Indian Giver" doesn't even mean what I learned it to mean. I always thought it meant you give something to someone and you take it back. Like a snatchback. Go figure it's about wanting something in return.

Funny how I'm reminded of my ignorance on a damn near daily basis.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?